The remaster no one asked for! 😀
Friends and I were talking about Hot Springs Island at a party (Happy 21st, Jon!). Made me remember this game (find the old version here). And there were some changes I wanted to make.
List of changes:
- The obvious one. It’s now “Island Rats” instead of “Maze Rats.” It will NEVER catch on, but someone pointed out to me how it was confusing to call this “Maze Rats 5.3” (now “Maze Rats 5.4”). I swear will still wear my Maze Rats t-shirt to the sessions of this I may never run.
- Reduced encumbrance. Two hands, two on the belt, six in the backpack.
- GAH. Armor is now base six again. I’m so wishy-washy, my goodness.
- Health slightly reduced from 7+STR to 6+STR. More washy-wishhhy.
- No more Health increase per Level. Electric Bastionland has taught me that Health per Level is silly.
- Fewer rolls for character creation. Two starting tools instead of three. Only one background per character instead of two.
- Reduced healing for the Disciple. That was out of hand.
- Dying rules redone. After hearing the Questing Beast interview of the Bard (of Heroquest fame) and Dael Kingsmill, I loved the idea of a mortally wounded character. Check it out.
- Added the 108 fantasy spells. GET THOSE D100s OUTTA HERE! Now, this means the page count is up to six, which certainly causes me the most grief. I mourn this.
Enjoy crawling through the Hot Springs Island. 🙂
PS: That makes three different systems in three days. Woof.