I took the time to actually write this stuff out. I read an article about why commandments/rules/contracts are important for RPGs. I stole some principles from the original article, some from OSR principle sheets, some from John Wick. Steal from me if you wish. I would encourage you to compile your own.
GM Code of Conduct
- I am the Game Master. I own the game.
- You’re welcome at my table if you abide by my rules.
- Every offense deserves an apology and needs forgiveness.
- RPGs don’t work without trust.
- I am an impartial arbiter.
- The rules are my tool.
- The world is my character.
- The spotlight is on you players.
- I am an antagonist in the literary sense.
- I am a cheerleader in the literal sense.
Player Code of Conduct
- Make the most of our limited time.
- Take the game seriously.
- Adventurers lead exciting lives. Be proactive.
- Play your character like you’re driving a stolen car.
- The dice may kill your character.
- The world isn’t balanced. You can leverage this.
- Use what you got. You have more than you think.
- When in doubt, ask questions.